PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is booking out a legal requirement?
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2015, 12:09
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is still the requirement at an airfield with an 'Ordinary' Licence for an aircraft operator to obtain permission from the airfield authority to use the airfield (ie take off or land)
Obviously, it would be courtesy to request permission to use private property that you do not own, but is that "requirement" a regulatory burden upon the pilot? What is the regulation with which the pilot must comply?

I see the "requirement" to obtain permission to use a private aerodrome (which perhaps is granted one time for all, to a based aircraft), as quite different to a [regulation?] to quasi flight plan every flight from an aerodrome.

Of course, examples can be found where doing so has had a great benefit for search and rescue efforts. However, is burying a system in reports of coming and going proportionate to that? Certainly, for the capacity of Flight Services to receive and process flight plans or flight itineraries, relative to the number of flights from private aerodromes in Canada is just not there. If we were to document each flight, the system would be swamped. I would estimate that more than half of the aerodromes in Canada are not regularly attended, so there would be no means to present a "booking" in or out.

In my opinion, a pilot's obligation to them self, their passengers, and SAR is to appropriately notify someone responsible of their flight. No "local" requirement would so obligate a pilot, if a national air regulation did not. That's certainly the way it is in Canada.