PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2015, 18:22
Mac the Knife

Plastic PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jimjim1 points out that "The Shipman Inquiry concluded Shipman was probably responsible for about 250 deaths." and further that "A General Practitioner killed people over decades and no one in the profession noticed because no meaningful monitoring was done."

Now I'm an old PPRuNer and I've been following this D-AIPX thread with some interest (as regular SLF).

There are interesting parallels between Shipman and 9/11 (both Black Swan events).

After Shipman British medicine was never the same again and after 9/11 air travel was never the same again.

British doctors are now the subject of such close & ongoing scrutiny and automatic suspicion (every doctor is a potential Shipman) that the profession has become quite unattractive. Add the proliferation of (usually baseless) lawsuits and complaints to the GMC and no sensible man or woman would take up medicine. My brother, after a spotless medical career and with many years to go has just retired early because he can't take the atmosphere and the crap any longer. The GMC now openly states that it's main job is to protect patients rather than regulate, licence and represent doctors.

We have moved from the era of ethics-driven medicine to the era of legally-driven medicine and from the era of ethics-driven ethics to the era of legal-driven ethics. The so-called safeguards are now making medicine less, rather than more safe. It is said that in the USA medical "mistakes" are the third leading cause of death - leaving aside the fact that many of these are not mistakes in the commonly understood meaning and that most of these take place in very old and ill patients - many of these are the result of legally-driven medicine with it's lack of holism and compassion.

9/11, and now D-AIPX will, I fear, drive air-travel in the same direction. Every pilot will now be regarded as a potential Lubitz and so ceaselessly scrutinised that even the slightest deviation from SOPS will be grounds for suspension and an enquiry, let alone a divorce, an affair or a bereavement.

One of my friend's daughter has just gained her full PPL and is now entering flight school for her ATPL.

Obviously she does not know what she is letting herself in for (and I'm so glad my son chose pure science over medicine).