PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2015, 07:40
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi CH
I am surprised how many people appear to think an anonymous "Big Brother" regulation authority would be more suited to judge the flight fitness of a pilot then the people working daily in the vicinity. Is this another try to push all personal responsibility for each and every neighbor away?
I am not saying "Big Brother" regulation is better, just that it is the current way things are done.

I tend to lean towards pushing the fit to fly judgement to a personal accountability of airlines medical departments, as they are much closer to the person as every regulator ever will be
Specifically - what are these "airline medical departments"? I fly for a large airline, and whilst we do have a medical department, it is tiny compared to when I joined, and there is no need for a pilot to go anywhere near them? I suspect most airlines do not have one at all?

Who knows whether this tragedy could have been avoided when medical fit to fly judgement would not have been transferred from airline medical centers to the regulator by EU laws?
I might agree, but as I said, I am not sure if all airlines ever had, and most certainly now do not, an "airline medical centre"?