PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - St. Helena Service
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2015, 14:49
sunday8pm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm assuming of course that a northern Europe - St Helena route is not possible due to restrictions on the size of aircraft the new airport can welcome, for whatever reason. I'm wondering whether the Canaries might be near enough as at 2700nm they're in range for smaller types. Las Palmas to St Helena would be approximately 6 - 6.5 hours, could the aircraft overnight there?

With the Canaries being so accessible for the western European population, and their tourist infrastructure so developed, it would (perhaps) be easier to get the bums to the seats for a St Helena flight than if it were taking off from Accra or Lagos.

The long-term purpose of this airport is surely to bring in tourists so the island can become more self sufficient. As you hint, the tourism product will have to develop on the island before that's possible.

I just don't see European tourists getting there with a change in Jo'burg. A 16 hour trip costing £1300 wouldn't represent value for money. As I mention above, the Jo'burg route is fine for servicing the island, and will get use from locals and South Africans alike, but whether it alone will bring much money into St Helena I'm not so sure.

Last edited by sunday8pm; 31st Mar 2015 at 15:09.