PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna as an Uber Taxi ?
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2015, 01:48
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The original question was:

What would be the feasibility (and legality) of me finding a local pilot who would ferry me out and back for a fee
When I read "local pilot" I infer a distinction away from a "charter or commercial air service" (maybe it's just me).

When I read:

Now I'm a regular visitor to Vegas (45 mins by 737) and I'm getting to the point where I can't take commercial aviation any more.
I infer this is intended to be a regular/repeated event.

If a "citizen" happened to walk onto the ramp at Phoenix, and identify a pilot who was heading to Vegas, and ask if they could go along, and pay part fuel, I imagine that the FAA could see it in their heart to find that to be okay. But, I imagine, that if this happened with regularity, the FAA would take much more interest, and look hard to see if this was edging into a "chisel charter".

If in the mean time, the "event" happened, I would expect a rapid unraveling, of the friendly relationship with the "local pilot" and once the insurance company got a whiff of the relationship, things would turn bad all the way around. Was it worth it? Nope! I would not get involved.

come on guys, yes let the OP know the problems, but be positive about it and suggest ways he might be able to do this
Yes, in spirit. But, practically, to fulfill the original criteria, there are only two sustainable ways: The OP hires a commercial charter service, which means no, to the proposed conditions in the question, or the OP takes up flying, for personal transport.

So, of course, we quite encourage people taking up aviation - welcome! But understand that GA aviation as a method of personal scheduled air service faces challenges. I agree that the Phoenix - Vegas runs is one of the happily less challenging in terms of weather, though the terrain is rather intimidating for forced landing considerations. When "get here to there" enthusiast asks me about flying as a way to fulfill their travel needs, I present cautions about expectations. The expectation of getting there, is the get home itis poison.

So, from a practical standpoint, "could I?" inquiry here from a presumed non pilot to "regular self fly Phoenix to Vegas pilot" is probably not within the timeframe expectations of the OP. Not "on base".

So:

If I'm way off base here no problem, but I have always wanted to ask.
Has been asked an answered objectively. It was not a generally positive answer, which in my opinion, accurately reflects the possibilities for the prescribed conditions. I'm pretty positive about promoting GA, but not when I feel that in truth, it won't work. GA is not the solution for all transportation needs. Yes, we should promote GA, but an inaccurate presentation helps no one....