PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2015, 00:48
FoxHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do we know that anyone *tried* to unlock the door after the initial 5 minutes?

If things were getting as hectic as we've heard, I can imagine them stopping trying that and just trying to beat the door down. It *could be* that the door would have unlocked if only they'd tried the code towards the end.

We'll only know for sure when the investigation is complete. Claiming "facts" now is almost certainly premature.
I'm curious about what all this CODE talk is? All doors I'm familiar with have a deadbolt in addition to the electronic lock controlled by the key pad. The mechanical dead bolt on an airliner door works just like the one in your house or flat. Just is about 100 times stronger than the deadbolt on your front door and 10 times stronger than the electronic logon the cockpit door. Once the deadbolt is engaged the door will never be opened in flight with any available tool. You can play with that keypad to the end of time with no effect because the door is locked by a mechanical means. The only way you can open it is with a key and the key is never, never carried on the aircraft.