PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2015, 21:25
Mooneyboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I refer to the 'swiss cheese effect' as its a good example of how many individual events or factors unfortunately tie up to this one tragic event. Obviously I can only go by the media reports but to me Andreas major issues were:

1)His personality to be very detailed and controlling

2) Strong love for flying throughout most of his life. Was into glider flying (what real pilots do) and was even cabin crew so flying a major part of his life.

3) Depression/ untaken medication?

4)Relationship issues

5) Big possiblity of losing Class 1 due to eye sight and his whole career.

6) Reports of not getting on or gelling with the Captain

7) Reports of being bullied.

8) Now this last one is beyond my knowledge of the human brain but ability to act and do something morally horrific.

To me tragically that day these holes all lined up and he was presented with an opportunity and took it. Maybe he was taking medication which dulled his senses and sense of morality or conversely not taken his medication and he acted erratically. Maybe the chances of all these lining up was that chance in a billion.

A lot of pilots (sorry should really say system programmers) will have point no 2, and definitely some captains I used to fly with had 1 as well ( can be a very good thing). I am sure a lot of us have had or are having 4 and definitely in a flying career will have 6. So each individual item except number 8 is something that can happen or is a perfectly normal trait or event.

Its this number 8 which we need to figure out if its in our button pushing pilot society and how to find it which is the next big issue.