PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2015, 03:05
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road-Runner fact-finding

The problem, slats11, with your argument, is two-fold. First, in France (presumably you are aware of this, but not everyone else necessarily will be), inquiries into civil aviation accidents are much more likely to become criminal matters than in most all other countries. That is, the French regard a civil aviation accident as almost, or nearly, always, a criminal matter from the jump. What this means is that the criminal investigators are MORE, rather than less, well-acquainted with the procedures, standards, and requirements of fact-gathering and fact-finding. At the very least, the pronouncements should have included significant cautions against regarding the presently known facts as conclusive. Second, the procedures, standards and requirements established by the ICAO system do NOT countenance, I mean do NOT tolerate, a rush to judgment. Even leaving aside the fact that there are loads of individuals who do not accept official explanations of what happened on the 11th of September - and I am not defending their sanity or lack thereof - but even leaving them out of the picture, that event was of an entirely different nature. Civilians on the ground and civil society in general were attacked, as opposed to a single flight (as serious as the single flight incident is, still, very different). So statements attributed to Bush-43 do not disprove or counter-weigh against the deliberation expected of civil aviation authorities, whether conducted solely a civil inquiry or a criminal one as well. For heaven's sake, I have no idea where the FDR is or whether its data will be intact if and when it is found. But I do know if lawyers had entered this feeding frenzy in a public way - before the grisly task of recovering the remains of the victims has reached its sorrowful and morbid conclusion - howls of outrage would descend. The rush to judgment, while less outrageous, still is conduct unbecoming civil aviation authorities. And this is so EVEN IF the ultimate facts prove out to be exactly, totally exactly, as you have posited them to be. Process matters.