The security system
The process
Etc

This guy is solely responsible for this
Period

What is scary is pilots are trying to make excuses or transfer responsibility
To justify these actions
Very disturbing

This has happened a few times out of millions and millions of flights involving 100's of 1000's of pilots

This has nothing to do with aviation
The occupation just made it easier and more catastrophic
While I see your point, I will suggest to you that our current "culture" is morphing more and more into the "Drama Queen Culture" of the self obsessed. If one pays attention to the social pathology that plays out on social media, which I do as my wife and I had to deal with our kids being exposed to it as it exploded and they entered the wired/connected age, this C/P's acting out is a logical (and irrational at the same time) taking of cultural influences to an extreme.

I expect a right pillaging for taking this position, but being in a nation full of drama queens, some of whom I deal with in the workplace, generation X has been succeeded by what I have heard called "generation whine" and "generation Y" and "generation Why is the world so hard?"

With change in culture and tech comes cost. It is sometimes hidden, it is sometimes very obvious. Back in the 70's, a guy named Toffler called it "future shock." I suggest that those of us from previous generations may be experiencing future shock in terms of dealing with the current generation of young adults. Consider what that does to the CRM challenge?

We only share some common cultural points of reference. Those we don't is where the frustration lies ... and likewise, my father who grew up poor in the Great Depression only shares some, not all, cultural points of reference with me and my siblings.

I hate to say this, but expect more of this crap, not less, in terms of the "it's all about me" attitude and how that plays out when people get into stress conditions. I say this realizing that I don't know this guy from Adam, and could be utterly wrong about what was going on inside his head.

Flame me if you must, but I thought I'd toss this out there. My experiences with young adults in the past ten years has been strange, to say the least, in part because I can only partly identify with their concerns and world view. It isn't the same as mine was, but it is similar. It's in the differences that we can sometimes be blind to their emotional needs and motivations.