PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2015, 00:44
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not covered by the SARPs, but still related to the regulatory, policy & legal issues

This horrendous tragedy and senseless loss of life, and damage to so many utterly blameless loved ones, must, simply must become a source of motivation for all parties (individuals, organizations, States) involved in the apparatus of contemporary global civil aviation to "get cracking" and define, and solve, problems now brought into starker relief.
But beyond this truism - and I know, certainly, ICAO is a process on top of another process on top of several more - there is something else dramatically calling out for attention here. Post after post, over many dozens of pages, want to reach the subject of suicide. If the reported facts hold up, once the civil AND criminal investigations are completed, the FO did take his own life. But it is a dishonor to the memories of the crash victims and their families to contextualize the immoral conduct at issue here as a "suicide" rather than as a mass murder in which the villain also took his own life (again, based on the information to date). Even if mentally ill, which is far from known at this juncture, morality still attaches and applies.
For perspective, those who want to pontificate about suicidal impulses and actions, or even just want to discuss it, have a look at J.D. Salinger's cryptic short story, "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" - suicide is hardly the big mystery so many want to make it out to be.
I don't have any draft revised SARPs in my pocket, no I don't. But this air crash disaster is a watershed event, not quite on the scale of four aircraft turned into air-to-ground missiles, but just one, or at most two, rungs down the ladder.