PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2015, 10:48
Mark R. Beacon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many years ago, while undergoing line training as F/O in a new company, I started getting stressed, due to wanting to do well, not screw up etc. I started making small confidence/stress related mistakes like dropping check-lists, missing my call-sign and rushing things. The training captain, a calm elderly guy with a lifetime of experience, must have recognised this and announced in the cruise " I am going back for a break. You have control."
This was just what I needed. I looked around the flightdeck, noticed the beautiful sky for the first time, checked all flight parameters, and methodically collected my thoughts for the descent and approach. Requests from ATC were complied with in an orderly and professional manner. I was the business!
When the boss returned, I updated him on our progress, and asked if he would like an arrival briefing. "Ready to copy, Sir." was his reply. I went on to pass my line check with distinction.
Now, more than twenty years later, I am a training captain. Recently, I had a similar occasion, this time with an experienced F/O on a command upgrade. I knew he was very capable, but saw the stress mistakes creeping in. I remembered that time long ago, and went for a break, leaving him alone. It did the trick, and all was well from then on.
How sad, that recent events have now prevented this valuable training aid from being used.
Even on smaller types with less than fifty seats, there will presumably have to be two flight attendants, otherwise there will be no-one to look after the pax if one is guarding the pilot, and a flight attendant on the flight deck can also be a distraction.

Last edited by Mark R. Beacon; 28th Mar 2015 at 10:57. Reason: Typo