PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2015, 16:16
west lakes
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really wonder how many of the intelligent(?) posters on here have any experience of mental health (MH) issues in themselves or others?

I think very, very few!

You all need to understand VERY, VERY clearly that just because someone has MH issues it does NOT in anyway make them suicidal.
Folk talk about the reaction of employers, they are very rarely the issue

It is the likes of posters on here if they are within the same workforce and quite often members of the persons family that are the biggest issue to folk not wishing to be honest about their situation.

You know the fear of some of the unsensitive remarks folk are posting on this thread, the fear of being treated differently by colleagues, the fear of exclusion by colleagues.

I don't have MH issues in the main, well I did last year as a result of being diagnosed with two forms of cancer, but help and support from family, friends, employer and colleagues got me over the issue (though I never openly admitted it to anyone).
My other half has suffered for over 30 years and has needed a huge amount of support, but guess what has NEVER wanted to commit suicide. Nor wanted to kill others which was a possibility because of occupation

Looking at some of the discriminatory remarks on here, it is no surprise that sufferers do it in silence partially in fear of the reaction of friends, colleagues and others.
And through absolute ignorance on the subject

It is an issue where sufferers do need to know they will get support from all directions.
Sadly in this situation and as much the fault of colleagues innocent folk have lost their lives.
So if you are in the industry YOU need to stop and rethink your attitudes to the suffering of others as much as employers, family and even customers!