PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2015, 18:36
No Fly Zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A320-FDR Direct Question(s)

I don't do Airbus and I know nearly nothing about its systems beyond the idea that it generates tons of data and that a Digital FDR can capture up to 1300 discrete measures. A good FDR will obviously capture important flight deck actions such as side stick movements, button pushes and the like. What I'd like to know:
1. Does the A320's D-FDR record door lock and door control actions?
2. If the D-FDR's recording media (a chip?) is not present, does this generate any kind of flight deck alarm or ECAS event?
3. Is a defective/alarmed/INOP D-FDR a MEL-able item; if so, for how long?
4. I'm just asking, NOT suggesting- how long would it take an experienced individual to reach the D-FDR and if possible, can the recording media be removed without generating ECAS alarms.

If, I repeat - IF the D-FDR was INOP and so recognized by the crew prior departure, I wonder if any discussion of same was captured by the CVR.

Lastly, the accident A320 was an older edition airframe and may have been equipped with an earlier generation, less capable FDR. Does anyone know - for certain, what was flying on this airplane?

I refuse to speculate, but will ask questions. Accurate answers to these questions are necessary before I can hope to understand WTF happened on Tuesday. For all lost, including the FO, RIP. -NFZ