PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2015, 09:56
WingNut60

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
O2 in the lavatories

This seems a suitable occasion to re-float a question that I tabled about one month ago (and subsequently modded out) - Garuda domestic are currently issuing instructions in their safety briefings that in-toilet O2 systems have been removed from their aircraft (738) and "in the event of cabin depressurisation, please return to your seat and use the overhead O2 mask".
These systems were removed apparently as the result of an NTSB(?) directive a couple of years ago, that directive since reversed - but not by Garuda.
I wonder how many other operators removed those systems world-wide?

As for the concept of the crew member in the toilet at the time of de-compression returning to the flight deck with the O2 bottle and mask, I doubt that would be possible even if the aircraft does still have the system installed.
Not unless he has oven gloves available.

However, back to my unanswered question. What is the likelihood that a person could actually make it back to their seat (or back to the flight deck) from a lavatory with or without O2 system installed.
We will presume that said crew member was in a fully-clothed condition when the de-pressurisation occurred.