PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need some help regarding Cessna 172 performance
Old 25th Mar 2015, 09:25
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my C 150 with the STOL kit installed already - the first one in Canada ('cause truthfully, who would spend the money for the kit on a 150 anyway?). I delighted in challenging myself to precise, short landings. The flying club where I'd learned in 150s a decade earlier had, at the time, two intersecting runways, such that from the start of the pavement on one to the centerline of the intersection one was a touch over 200 feet (the first runway has since been lengthened).

I used to entertain myself, on a day with a bit of wind, touching down right on the edge of the pavement (or maybe a foot or two of gravel) and clearing on the intersecting runway without actually sliding tires. It wasn't long before the chief flying instructor took me aside and didn't ask, but told me to stop doing that. I was setting a poor example, as students would watch me, and try the same things in the brand new 152's, which were just not capable.

So, I learned the various patches and marks on the runway, and did the same thing, just much further up the runway, to the next intersection.

These days, I've mostly grown out of that kind of behaviour, but I'll stop short of calling it immature. The skills I have developed, have been helpful from time to time.... Suffice it to say, the landing distances I could achieve were much shorter than the POH tables!