PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2015, 04:58
kenish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just wondering, for those that understand the A320, is there anyway a rapid decompression could prevent the aircraft's radios from working?
I do avionics design, which includes certification. All electronics must undergo a rapid decompression test. Equipment in the pressurized section of most airliners must be tested to (IIRC) 45,000 feet. A com is a critical item and must remain fully functional during and after the decompression test. Non-critical items such as IFE and galley equipment can stop working, but cannot create a safety issue (overheat, emit smoke/sparks, etc).

An actual production radio could have a defect and fail during a rapid decompression, but keep in mind there are at least 2 VHF coms. There are other ways to communicate a problem, but so far it seems these were never used. I don't have A32x knowledge but if the electrical system is typical of Transport category aircraft, there are multiple sources of power to the radios.

Some pilots carry a handheld com radio in their personal kit for true "belt and suspenders" redundancy.