PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus A320 crashed in Southern France
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2015, 20:26
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The (reported) total lack of communications from the crew for the entire duration of the descent is strongly suggestive of crew incapacitation.

It appears from what we know thus far that the crew have commanded the descent, and the average rate would appear to be consistent (I would imagine) with speed brakes out, or at least a speed of close to Mmo/Vmo.

I can only speak for the 737, and am led to believe A320 family is similar in the drills, so imagine (via the AFS) a random lower altitude would be initially set (just to start the descent ) with one of the follow up actions being to come back to it to set 10,000 or MSA (whichever higher) implying that, if you lost consciousness after commencing the descent, you may continue down to . . . . well, whatever altitude was set by default on the panel (could be as low as 0000)

I have heard reliable reports of a 737 flying around for a significant amount of time (lets say more than 1 day ) with the crew 02 turned off down at the bottle due to a maintenance error. It appears that the 02 expended during the mandated crew 02 tests done during this period, was not significant compared to what was left in the line between bottle/mask.

God knows how the crew(s) who flew it 2 ? 4 ? or however many sectors for however many days must have felt when they heard they operated it, with but a few seconds worth, of 02 available in the lines . . . personally, I think I would feel quite sick.

Very short odds indeed for an aircraft with a similar maintenance whoopsy to coincidentally have a decompression requiring the use of crew 02, but, that's what Murphy is for. . . . . . .