PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stand-by for Maastricht?
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2015, 07:49
stator vane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stand-by for Maastricht?

received a notice that a new "procedure" is coming....which in my opinion shows that the procedure makers are not regular flyers.

they state, "wait for a silence on the radio before"
saying you are standing by. Duh?

perhaps they could simply say as they do into STN, "contact xxx.x with call sign only" and I think most wait until the frequency is quiet. But how long? I think many try to be quick draw mcgraws after the end of the current transmission, but realistically; 1 sec? 2 sec? But we then appear to wait about the same time, then block each other out, some times several times, then ATC finally states a call sign and instruction. I have gotten to where I treat a busy frequency as a mini-loss of comms after the first blocked transmission and proceed as previously cleared and wait for them to call me.

If memory serves, flying into DFW in 90s, the approach frequency was often a full on broadcast from ATC and we just did what we were told whilst he went on to all the other aircraft. If an aircraft didn't do what it was told the ATC would come back with a stern voice telling that aircraft to do it NOW. I remember a king air that on the third transmission was given a 180 heading change and another frequency after two stern directions.

So they some how managed without multiple publications from the desk flyers.

Should be another fun summer ahead.