PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KQ ghost awakens
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2015, 04:53
sheilanjeri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FERetd

Yes, KLM is a partner. It's more than that actually, they hold about 26% of KQ's shares making them one of the larger shareholders for the carrier. Whether they can influence thing's at Kenya Airways, and to what extent, I'm not too sure.

254HEAVY

I just read an article that was quite informative. Following the sacking of the over 10 pilots, KAPLA (Which is the union for pilots in Kenya), advised Kenya airways pilots to withdraw their goodwill (fancy piloting word for working overtime). Everyone knows that KQ (as do most airlines) have a shortage of pilots. The available pilots have been working on goodwill. Paying the pilots for working overtime it seems, is more cost effective. So rather than hiring more pilots, they'd rather have the current pilots work OT.
NB For those who aren't familiar with this concept of goodwill, pilots that fly on goodwill are not over worked. They don't fly more than the maximum number of hours as stipulated by the law.
So all of the flights that were cancelled yesterday were as a result of this 'go-slow'.
I think KQ might be struggling on the PAX numbers on other routes and equipment, but not the Amsterdam one. From what I hear, that 777 is almost always full.