PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Red Arrows: Inside the Bubble
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2015, 22:53
Toddington Ted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched the canal programme on Channel 4 tonight and actually enjoyed it. Quite a good piece on the late Mr Tom and Mrs Sonia Rolt's vision of keeping the UK canal system as something for people to enjoy in the future. Sonia Rolt was interviewed (she died the same year this programme was recorded) and it was interesting to note the role the canals played during WWII and the fact that many women, including her, had to take over canal boat operations due to menfolk being called up. I tend to regard the late Tom Rolt as a bit of a hero as he did much to start what is now a mega-tourist economy of heritage steam railways, starting with the Welsh Narrow Gauge, as well as altering public perception on canals.

However, I've never really thought of Jeremy Clarkson as a hero although I've always had a sneaking admiration for his demolition of political correctness/good manners. I personally recall the Top Gear Team visit to HERRICK in late 07 when I was out there on Media Ops. MOD Press Office weren't too keen on Clarkson's piece on it when he got back to the UK but as the Army spokesman said at the time, he's a journalist, what do they expect? Ironic really that in today's papers JC is being compared to JS, who also did a lot for charity including Stoke Mandeville. Not an accurate, fair, good or accurate comparison but, hey, that's journalism for you.