PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish A330 incident, Kathmandu
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2015, 07:02
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last technical stuff on RNP

For those that want to learn something here : just back from a meeting with some experts on RNP present . (i.e. EGNOS and Airbus ) I asked a few questions and now know a little bit more about RNP APPs and this is how it works ( on Airbus aircraft at least ) in simple terms.

The 0.3nm accuracy is only for the last part of the App segment not for the whole APP . 2 minutes before FAF , the RAIM box inside the aircraft will verify if all the satellites are aligned and if the position they received is correct and will be guaranteed for the next 5 minutes . The guaranteed precision you will get is still 0.3,NM either side of track , but in practice it is better . The correct definition is “ The system will guarantee that in the next 5 minutes your deviation will not be superior to your RNP value “

If the RAIM cannot guarantee the integrity it will issue a warning that should result in a go around (if IMC ),but this accuracy is only guaranteed for 95 % of the time.( although in practice it is better ) Only with an augmentation system ( such as WAAS or EGNOS ) you will get more than 99% . But Never 100%, mainly because of solar activity . 2014 had a very strong solar peak activity and the lowest was 99,4 . Better availability is expected in 2015.
EGNOS is already available today for regional’s and business jets , for large airliners the first aircraft fully factory equipped is the A350 . Retrofit for older types is expensive. But remember EGNOS is only for Europe .

What is more interesting is he obligation to follow certain rules to actually perform an RNAV-AR APP :you need certified aircraft, certified and trained crews , a certified airport and trained air traffic controllers . It is not because it is in the aircraft data base that you can use it . And there lies our first problem.
The other is when an airport changes things in the ground or in the runway and do not tell the people that make the data bases . Remember that one .

Next : some airports have issued visual RNAV APP plates on their own and there are currently no official procedures for them , hence the (correct) IFALPA warning.

Finally all strongly ay that RNP is not and never will be a substitute for ILS,. It is still a non precision APP and should be treated as such.
Now I put my willy back where it belongs and leave the discussion over to the "real" experts here.