PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you go flying when holidaying abroad?
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2015, 20:43
Gertrude the Wombat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find a flying school and book a flying lesson, with me to do the flying, the instructor to do the radio and the nav, and as many of my family as convenient to fit in the back. Basically a flightseeing tour but I get to write stuff in my log, as Pu/t.

This has worked for me in Canda, New Zealand, Australia, Slovenia and Jamaica (twice).

If I can find someone giving floatplane lessons I go a bit further and take some lessons (but I've never actually bothered to get the rating, it's of limited value in the UK and it would be rather a pain to keep up).

Most fun was a ride in a chartered Beaver in BC - the pilot chucked over the control column for me to have a go, much to the consternation of some of my family in the back, and no doubt not entirely legally. Flying along at 100' or so above the water looking for interesting marine mammals, and having to climb to treetop level when wanting to cross a piece of land. (FTAOD: not the aircraft, and not even the company, in the picture on the left.)