PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2015, 07:19
Pinky the pilot
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan soon but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 96 Likes on 55 Posts
landing, you'd need a bit to play with if you reached the crest
with momentum to get rid of.
Which is why you were not only route endorsed in PNG, but there were also separate strip endorsements. You were checked and endorsed into each and every single one-way strip.

This generally involved starting off flying into and out of each strip for about two to three times as a passenger, followed by ICUS a few times and finally a couple of solo T/Os and landings whilst the C&T Pilot watched you from the ground.

Once you had a few strips under your belt it became a shorter procedure until you had sufficient strips in that particular province. Then, and only when granted dispensation, you could check yourself into a new strip. The 'partial ANO 28 dispensation' if memory serves correctly.
There was also a different 'ANO 28' amongst the Aviation fraternity but that had absolutely nothing to do with Aviation!

I once endorsed myself into a new strip and had to land in the wrong direction; simply because of a 30kt wind blowing down the strip in the normal landing direction, but that's another story.

One thing that was strange at first but quickly became quite a natural thing to do was upon touchdown, retracting flap and going to full power to get up the slope! You learned very quickly when to cut power and stand on the brakes and which way to turn the a/c!

Chimbu Chuckles; WTF are ya?? You could explain the above far better than I, and tell better stories too!!

Last edited by Pinky the pilot; 6th Mar 2015 at 10:38.