PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is landing the bloody plane so hard?!
Old 4th Mar 2015, 13:23
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are of course a large number of similar threads in this forum, and no doubt you've checked them out for specifics. But since we're sharing sage advice that transformed our outlooks, my two cents worth comes from an airline check captain who visited my (then) local aero club. As a beginner pilot it was quite heartening to hear that professionals also had their stick and rudder challeges. One particular bit of advice that stayed with me was the exhortation to fly agood approach and never let the aircraft land until it was positioned where you want it, and in the right attitude. It sounds so simple but I observed that he was right: the best pilots are in control and actively make it happen.

As I sought to be a good pilot, I soon learned that 'in control' certainly did not mean 'over control'. With a bit of experience you learn the difference and gain confidence. But under no circumstances be a passenger in your aircraft - your job is to make it all happen.

When you do become a good pilot, as I'm sure you will, your standards creep upwards somewhat. So, as thing implied earlier, you will always be conscious of actions that could have been done better. But a dose of humility never hurt anyone!