PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Les Munro the last Dambuster to sell his medals
Old 4th Mar 2015, 10:36
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
The NZ Herald stated:

'said its (Department of Culture and Heritage) approval for export under the Protected Objects Act will be needed if the medals are sold to a non-New Zealand buyer'

In other words, these medals are not Les's to dispose of as he wishes. A tricky one - we're typically not happy when, for example, a painting, an historic airframe or a collection of medals goes overseas. However I this that it is a restraint of commercial practise.

The maintenance of memorials around London poses a huge problem for the local authorities - and in this case, Westminster Borough Council, if I recall correctly. Before planning approval was given for this memorial (I was in MB at the time) I am sure that the Council sought assurance that there would be maintenance funds available for the foreseeable future. This is a 'private' memorial (cf the Cenotaph) and therefore 'private' ie, non-public funds, are required to maintain it. Sadly.