PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Croydon Airport
Thread: Croydon Airport
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2015, 00:42
briani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airways Aero Association/Airways Flying Club/Croydon

Hi, amashamed to admit that I have only just stumbled on PPRuNe after a lifetime involved in Aviation. Started with Airways Aero Association when I was a teenager at school and cycled to Denham each weekend where I kept flight sheets for them and cleaned aeroplanes when not busy!. The trainers then were Miles Magisters (or Hawk Trainer 3) and I was rewarded with occasional flights in a Maggi and had many flights in Private Owners machines.

I the joined BEA as a radio apprentice - mainly so that I could fly with their Club, which by then was operating from Croydon with a very smart fleet of Chipmunks, which were lined up for DI's every morning in front of the terminal building. I think that WgCom. Wenman was the CFI and most of my flying was with Budge (Burridge). My first solo was there but operations were then moved to Biggin Hill (the aircraft were ferried over from Croydon each morning and returned at the end of the days flying). The other flying club there at the time was the Surrey and Kent. Eventually the Club moved to White Waltham and the Chipmunks were replaced by Aiglets. The next move was to Booker and a fleet change to Pa28s fo a few years, before the tomahawks arrived. I did my Instructor Course with Joan Hughes, which was a most enjoyable and memorable experience. Has anyone produced a history of the Club?