PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pay to Fly (P2F) in Asian carriers
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2015, 00:24
Long Range Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P2F is the only solution? For some of us, see what we see.

Thanks guys for all the inputs and criticism.
P2F is seen as bad for sure but before insulting guys like us sitting and rotting in the turboprops,here is how we see the world from our shoes:

1. We are flying and living in a foreign country too and have no chance for upgrades to the left seat on the turboprops. Our airlines are not investing in command upgrades for foreigners anymore.
2. We are employed in regional and small carriers. There is no fleet expansion plans and no prospects that the company will expand with jets. Therefore no chance to get upgraded on bigger fleet even as a SFO.
3. As time is passing, like it or not, age is passing. The chance of us SFOs getting hired in second officers programs as opposed to a young local/national is getting less day after day. This is a reality. Ask Etihad, Cathay, Qatar etc. They accept your CV and call you for the interviews. But after passing all the selection, they still will turn to the 220 hour CPL local guy instead of a foreign SFO with thousand hours on a turboprop. I won't mention the EU operators as I don't have a EU nationality to be considered.
4. The small turboprop airlines we are flying for are eventually hiring local second officers/JFOs too straight from school with ridiculous bonds and contracts. We are becoming expensive SFOs and therefore, technically, becoming liabilities. Unless you are a captain, you no longer have any job security.
5. No airline or recruiting agent is bothering to hire you unless you are a local or you have 500 hours on type (JET TIME). I said it earlier and I say it again, I never had the chance to fly a jet as I don't have an airline back home. If my country or national airline (if it existed anyway) never hired me to build 500 hours jet time, you think a foreign airline will hire me??? If there is one,please guys let us know here.
6. Non type rated pilot vacancies are rare and if they advertise, they are looking for people/SFOs who are flying aircrafts above 27 tonnes. I don't know why and from where this weight restriction came. The reality is our turboprops are below 25 tonnes and non of them is respecting the legal definition of weight (5700kg to 136000kg) that classifies a MEDIUM aircraft.

Here is a bit how we guys sitting on the turboprops see the world. We are willing to fly a jet too one day and see the world.
Is P2F the only way to get us there in a jet and established airline? I'm getting worried that the answer is YES in the end.
Would like some more inputs and positive suggestions please. Thank you.