PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RyanAir Tips?
Thread: RyanAir Tips?
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2015, 21:54
philbky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Living in Ireland it is almost inevitable that certain trips are on Ryanair (NB NOT RyanAir, they were a US outfit).

Plus points: One of the most modern fleets in the world
Relatively cheap for most trips but always check the alternatives for bargains
Regularly on time
A flying bus service without pretensions though recent business and seat
selection options are changing this
Has opened travel to a much wider constituency.

Demerits: Still has poor support for customers when things go wrong.
Baggage allowances and costs.
Rigid seats and poor legroom
They have taught other airlines to reduce hand baggage allowance, charge
for baggage and charge credit card/admin fees with no other way to book and
pay.

For those waving flags for the legacy carriers consider this:

I'm now a pensioner who regularly flies around the world on a budget, therefore I fly economy. I hold a frequent flyer card with a world renowned carrier. A four hour technical delay on one of this airline's flights late in the evening at a US gateway during which the shops and restaurants closed was handled well by the flight deck crew who kept the economy pax informed but the ground operation could only provide a bottle of tepid water and a packet of pretzels for each passenger.

Eventually airborne at 01.00 local, we were not fed for another hour. Over half those on board had coonecting flights in London. The ground staff at the departure airport were unhelpful and no announcements about connections were made until approaching Heathrow. I had missed my connection, booked on this airline's ticket on a code share airline. The crew could not get information for me. We had to wait until we contacted the code share airline at Heathrow to confirm we would travel home that day. All we got on arrival at Heathrow was a £10 food voucher which covered the cost of a snack, but not a drink.

Other than apologies from the cockpit, there was no real apology either at the time or when I complained in writing. In addition we were told by the ground staff at Heathrow we were entitled to delay compensation under EU rules. I applied, waited six weeks for an answer to be told as the delay was an unforseen tech problem caused by a bird strike, there was no legitimate claim.

Can we blame Ryanair for dumbing down the service across the board? Maybe, but I would also blame legacy carrier corporate greed which forever seeks greater passenger numbers, markets flights on the basis of expectation of something special and pares every cost to the minimum.

At least Ryanair is honest. Take it for what it is. Travel on a winged bus.