PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G650 day rate
Thread: G650 day rate
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2015, 16:00
INNflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A boat will kind of have resale value. A house definitely might. A G550/650 type rating on a piece of paper will have nil. Zero. Nothing. And that's already after not even one year of having it.

I can not see (and I hope for your sake that I am wrong) anyone who would hire somebody with a type rating but no experience.
I think most contract guys bring exactly that: massive hours on type. That's why they are ready to go, charge a premium and have high market value.

If you have no experience on type but 95k ink printed on your license dare I say you won't fly. I seriously consider it a bad investment.

I'm not saying don't do it as it is your money (ok I am kind of saying don't...), but the smarter way would most definitely be to apply to a permanent position where the company values your previous experience, and by reading what you said you have lots of it.
Chances are it's not your high-paying dream job, but they will likely pay your rating and bond you for it. You win. Or they may give you a job and you'll have to pay the rating. You still kind of win. You can keep the 90k in your bank account and pay your living expenses with it, and if you feel the need to go contract after gaining time on type - just do. No risk for you putting in a lot of money upfront.