PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Empire Strikes Back! on Colour Defective Pilots
Old 19th Feb 2015, 03:53
brissypilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Estimates QoN responses

It was nice to see the responses to October's questions on notice were finally published yesterday, only 2 months past the due date

ATSB
Question No. 238

Senator FAWCETT: I am happy to put this on notice: in the period since last estimates, how many safety related incidents have there been that ATSB has investigated? As a subset of that, how many, if any, relate to a pilot who had a colour vision deficiency?
Mr Dolan: I am not aware, but I think we can safely say that we have not investigated anything that relates to an occurrence notified to us relating to a colour vision deficiency.
Senator FAWCETT: That does not surprise me, but if you could still come back to me with a number that would be great, thank you.
Mr Dolan: We will confirm that on notice

Answer:
• The ATSB has initiated 59 investigations of safety incidents and accidents since the last Senate Estimates.
• None of these 59 relate to a pilot who had a colour vision deficiency.
CASA:
Question No. 242

Senator FAWCETT: Mr Farquharson, can you tell me how many pilots who have a colour vision deficiency have lost privileges of their licence as a result of having to sit the CAD test, since the last estimates?
Mr Farquharson: I cannot directly inform you of that.
Senator FAWCETT: I am happy for you to take that on notice. Could you also find out how many initial applicants for an aircrew medical have been required to sit the CAD test as the third level of testing and have subsequently failed and been denied an aircrew medical?

Answer:
• Two candidates have fail results. The applicants have been notified of the intent to issue licences with the restriction “Day Visual Flight Rules (VFR) flying only”. One certificate has been issued with applicant agreement. One certificate is pending applicant response.
• No initial applicants for an aircrew medical have been required to sit the Colour Assessment and Diagnosis (CAD) test.
CAsA's new practice of issuing Day VFR medicals to those who fail the tests goes completely against the findings of the Denison AAT test case - and not to mention the legal requirements in CASR 67.150 (6)(c) that Creamie has eloquently highlighted in his past posts. These newbies are now being denied careers even in GA that many others before them have been able to enjoy over the past 25 years. What's the point of investing in a CPL now if AvMed won't even let you fly at night or IFR?

Hopefully it won't be too much longer now before the AAT publishes its latest decision. No doubt it'll be another interesting read!

For anyone who's interested, the next round of Estimates is happening late Tues night