PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWQUAY
Thread: NEWQUAY
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2015, 15:08
NewquayJacob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skybus St Brieuc

Was 4 x weekly and then 2 x weekly and then dropped all together - in 2009 flights were £79 each way - how does this compare with the ferry fares? The route carried over 1,000 pax in 2008.

A ferry from Plymouth has a much larger audience then NQY's catchment - one of major things about ferries are that you can take a car (and caravan)!

Interestingly at the end of the 2009 season when asked if the route (NQY-SBK) was profitable the ex-CEO of ISSCo said:

"All new routes go through a period of time when the investment is high at the beginning and then settles down. Primarily our problem has been more to do with the airport in France. St Brieuc is twinned with an airport at Lannion, and they are encouraging us to think of going to Lannion, which we’re evaluating at the moment. It’s actually ten minutes more flying time. The funny thing about flying to France is we can’t fly straight. If we could, it would be a breeze, but we have to fly around the military no fly zone. Lannion is ten minutes longer in journey, but is actually shorter as the crow flies. But it has a good link to Paris, so it’s a good airport."

Bearing in mind SBK's only scheduled service was the link to NQY, you can see why they maybe suggested moving - to my mind Brest would have made more sense. Although I doubt in the future if any NQY - France routes will operate - Flybe are much too big for any such route and I don't think Skybus would operate any again, their focus always has been Isles of Scilly.

Last edited by NewquayJacob; 18th Feb 2015 at 15:12. Reason: Extra