PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The 49ers
Thread: The 49ers
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2015, 14:38
Shep69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd personally keep an open mind when you read it and remember that it was written from the point of view of an individual who was wronged. As such there is significant bias I believe toward some folks. But it very much IS worth reading.

Coming in late to the party I found the objective facts disquieting and that grown adults would actually behave like this. Often one should be greatful for adversaries--even in stressful times--because they bring a different point of view and have the potential to make everyone better. "Hitting" a few to get the rest into line doesn't foster a healthy working environment and in the long run hurts the company--AND the trick only works once--if at all. But why tricks ? Why not try keeping folks happy for a change ? Have you ever noticed how hard someone works for someone else when they realize their value and don't want to let the team down ? When you were learning to fly was it the screamer you'd try to perform well for, or the person (even if a hardass) who challenged you and when you made a mistake or two made you feel you were better than that and could do better ? The person you didn't feel coerced not to let down but the person you didn't want to let down.

Particularly telling was how unprepared/unable some folks were when taken to court. I can't imagine what even Oliver Wendall Douglas would have done to them in any venue other than the protective bubble of Hong Kong.

I think it noteworthy that on the operator's side almost everyone is in this in a genuine attempt to make things better, preserve the quality of the brand, and keep the place from cratering. Many do HAVE other options but have elected (at least for the time being) to stick it out and try to fix things--and this is commendable. But even this has its limits and unless something good happens soon we are going to see alot of folks crying uncle and bolting--just when we would need experienced folks the most. It's not anything out of spite--quite the opposite--but out of concern out of what long term chiseling and deteriorating conditions will do to the place. No one wants to see a place they really care about head downhill.

Fate has the habit of catching up with one even if it too comes late to the party. Maybe that's where we are today.

Last edited by Shep69; 16th Feb 2015 at 17:30.