PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2015, 23:51
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seagull967, re, "This crew never knew they stalled.", and I think wouldn't have considered pushing the stick fully-forward and holding it there while going down.

I am beginning to appreciate more, primarily from the postings of the military guys who knew these areas and who knew full-stick deflection is always in the tool-kit, the view that even as we have four very clear metrics as to when the airplane is fully-stalled, such information is essentially unhelpful because it is benignly-given, benignly-referenced as a by-the-way in the manual, without any guidance whatsover (at the time) that fully-forward on the stick is what is required when stalled at cruise altitudes. One is not going to do this when terrified and going down - that is why stall training is necessary, but that point has been thoroughly made.

For this reason I think an AoA guage may not have helped, because "fully-forward on the stick for a full minute" would seem suicidal and certainly not natural or intuitive. From the sim experiments, (the replication was quite good even as it is extrapolation), it took 45" and 15,000ft to unload, (to use Machinbird's original term) the wing.

As an aside, you could watch the AoA on the FMC using the ACMS parameters page...but it wouldn't be helpful in these circumstances!