PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 9th Feb 2015, 19:54
Lonewolf_50

Received 394 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by caulfield
And I can tell you that on joining 80% of these airlines, nobody really cared about my flying skills or airmanship (bar the V1cut and required LPC items). What they all cared about was ... did I know and follow the SOP's, cross my T's and dot my I's, and keep the automation in and watch the good ship.
This fits into the current legal environment nicely. That is what has a lot of management concerned: liability.
I rarely if ever saw sim time devoted to ex LPC items. And many instructors would reposition the sim in a perfunctory manner until the box was ticked. No expansion, no discussion, no focus on airmanship. Just whats the next box to tick.
This make regulators happy, seeing all of those boxes ticked. Training costs time and money. Box ticking is more "time efficient." (Please note the sarcasm dripping from my keyboard ... )
In one airline I was supposed to follow like a monkey a set pat of intra flight deck comms when the ramp agent arrived. I said to the line instructor, I can get the load sheet, extract the data, enter it into the FMC with the other guy cross-checking and we can do it safely without a procedure like a monkey. This is where the airlines focus is now. Procedure.
ISO 9000 has arrived on the Flight Deck.

Don't feel bad. This isn't only a problem in the airline industry.
They dont want the crew thinking for themselves or flying the plane all by their lonesome. And its enforced from top down with FDM. This is where we're going wrong.
Because people are hard to lead and manage.