PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thought you might like this Tiger Moth review...
Old 7th Feb 2015, 19:23
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Tiger Moth was resident in my client's hangar for ten years that I saw it there. 'Never flew. One day he mentioned in passing that he had sold it, and was looking forward to one last flight before it went, it was duly make flight ready.

I was at his hangar on other business, doing some test flying of a modified Caravan. He said to me: "I guess I'll have you test fly the Moth, it seems to have shrunk since I last flew it!". A smile crossed my face. I had flown one a couple of times on skis in the late '70's, but not since. As I was certain it had no flight manual for me to review, I asked if there was anything I should know. "No", he said, "just go and fly it."

I sensed the frustration of an older fellow, whose waistline had grown more than deHavilland had allowed for in their design. So after a very detailed walk around, I climbed in, and looked around. I checked the light controls, and found that the ailerons went up, but apparently not down. I asked the mechanics, they had blank faces. So, I went up to his office... "Ailerons move up, but not down? I s that correct?" "Yup". And with that, I went a flew. I had a delightful time, even though it was a cool December day. But I agree with SSD, even my soggy 150 is more crisp to fly than the Moth.

It was flown away soon after, hopefully after checking the gas, and filling the oil....