PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TransAsia in the water?
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2015, 11:20
Unusual Attitude

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't normally comment on these threads as I don't fly TP's however aerodynamics are aerodynamics regardless of the type and something strikes me looking at the speed / time / alt plot.

From the point just after rotation at about 100' the speed starts to decay, however the ROC remains surprisingly steady until they pass approx. 1100' when the ROC is reduced slightly. By this point speed is now passing below 100kts and then drops suddenly with associated loss in altitude of around 500' which looks like a stall and attempted recovery. The speed however never gets back above 100kts from this point and altitude continues to reduce steadily until the point of impact.

It looks to me that the speed was allowed to decline with constant ROC until the point of stall following which insufficient speed was attained during the recovery and the aircraft remained on the back of the drag curve unable to accelerate or climb on one engine.

Looking at the final video clip the aircraft is descending with significant positive AoA and I suspect the poor crew, out of options, attempted one last pull to avoid hitting the building resulting in a wing drop.
As it happens this might have been the one thing that saved lives Vs actually hitting the building.