PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TransAsia in the water?
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2015, 04:44
bloom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do I start?

If there is damage to the port side elevator balance tab that some of you see in the video stills, where did it come from? Ground damage missed on preflight is my only guess. Even if a turbine wheel burst, it would most probably have been contained by the shroud. The engine parts would not go downstream and hit the T tail, no alignment. Prop blade? I see all four blades on both engines. Only "damage" I see prior to impact is caused by camera angle and the inherent distortion of a digital image expanded beyond the limits of its pixels. No, the aircraft was in good shape before impact.

In the best of the two dash cam videos, the aircraft appears from the left and is wings level, apparently slow, in a nose high attitude at a high rate of descent. At one point after takeoff they declared a "Mayday, engine flame out".

But at one point in the flight they had altitude (1250 feet), near sea level (fat air), and adequate airspeed. It was not that long a flight, so probably a light fuel load and well under seat capacity. The were not "heavy".

The aircraft should have been able to fly after V1 , climb and return. Minimum airspeed, no altitude, the aircraft should have been up to the task.

They pissed it all away and when they saw that they were not going clear the roadway, panicked and deep stalled the aircraft; the left wing stalled first. Lift normally generated by thrust over the wing that was absent due to the failed engine determined the direction of roll. Stalled. Not a "spin". A spin would need altitude.

The crew mismanaged a manageable incident. They "screwed the pooch". Whether it was their shortcomings or the lack of good training or training standards, is not mine to speculate. But when I transitioned to several different aircraft I was trained to "approach to stall" recovery. It wasn't till several crews actually stalled the aircraft (thankfully with sufficient altitude) that we received true stall avoidance/recognition/recovery training.