PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TransAsia in the water?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2015, 11:02
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It does have all the hallmarks of a Vmca departure, maybe combined with a wing drop. High pitch attitude, RoD building then a final rapid roll into the water. What malfunction(s) and/or handling might have led to that we have yet to see.

I remember what my first flying instructor told me, which was: “If you’re going to crash, crash with the wings level”, i.e. if possible, keep the aircraft under control, even if you’re going down to a certain impact. Fortunately, I’ve never had to put his advice into practice...

Interesting thanks, but in all my OPC's LPC etc i have never been taught to lower the nose, I am more interested in my speed
Until we started doing LOEs as part of our ATQP, OPC/LPC (or even IRR, back in the day) engine failures consisted of V1 cuts because they we supposed to be the most critical or difficult. We all know that’s not the case and a failure just as you’re reached the AEO attitude needs a swift reduction in pitch otherwise you’ll be going back past V2 on the way to Vmca. Waiting for speed trends to develop could leave you in a less than desirable situation.

Same could be said for a power loss in a turn or during clean up.

Last edited by FullWings; 4th Feb 2015 at 11:22.