PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TransAsia in the water?
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2015, 10:59
biscuit74

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
This recent series of posts does raise a query in my mind.

The quite high deck angles achieved on initial climb out insome aircraft today suggests that on occasion a significant reduction in angleof attack or easing of pitch angle, done reasonably smartly, may be helpful toensure the aircraft remains above Vmca following a partial or subtle power loss. It will take some time for any lost airspeed torecover in a heavy aircraft – is that demonstrated in simulator exercises?Especially recalling that many pilots may find controlled flight at or very near Vmca ‘challenging’in some types.

I recall in UK gliding, after a series of nasty accidents a few years ago, a lotof effort was spent reminding pilots that just getting the nose down wasn’tenough. It is important of course to wait until there is sign of positive rise in airspeed beforemanoeuvring vigorously.

That short video clip also seems to me to show the effect of insufficient airspeed, for whatever reason at that point. Horrible to see, horrible to feel an aircraft dropping away from you. Impressed anyone survived.