PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Private Aviation.... the moral dilemma!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2015, 08:40
Journey Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I'll bite. How about, "Ignorance is bliss"?

Obviously you have much more insight into the specific financial wrangling that pays for your aircrafts operation than in the charter world. May I suggest a change of operation?

In charter we see a lot of wealthy individuals. However, I fly an aircraft size that seems to be popular with a lot of self-made business men. They have all proven polite, interesting and, from the odd few I've Googled their rise to wealth, have been exceptionally hard workers. Now, I'm under no illusion that in order to claw your way to the top some tough decisions may have been made, but all my clients are polite and appreciative of the service. They're business owners who view the aircraft as a tool to get the job done.

In your case, where it's private ops, maybe having a philosophical firewall might help. As long as the finances in the flight department are in order, then that's the extent of your oversight. Maybe that philosophy will help you get through the day for a few more months.

Alternatively, whilst the food is quite wasteful, the crew often wolfs it down for lunch if it's untouched. Or the fueler. Catering creates jobs, and an insane amount of profit for someone. (€70 for a kettle's worth of boiling water.) Anyway, I digress. I think the 'waste' argument is a fallacy when it comes to the World's less fortunate - the argument that scraping food into bins is essentially taking it directly out of a starving mouth is too facile. Having witnessed aid first hand, I have a much more jaded viewpoint of the effectiveness of direct aid; but that seems a much larger discussion than just a random bitch about your employer.

One thing is for sure, once you become embittered about something it will only ulcerate your soul as you feel impotent to effect change. I would strongly suggest a change of scenery.