PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 09:06
Jet Jockey A4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@ Elephant and Castle…

My reference to “what’s the big deal” was about the abnormal check list and the procedure relating to a single or dual FAC failure

To me it was straight forward and not complicated to do and easy to implement. I don’t see how this could be an Airbus problem.

Furthermore as can be seen below, the check list first tells you about the rudder (in big letters), the ALTN LAW and DIRECT LAW several times some even in big bold letters. What is it these Airbus pilots don’t understand?

If I were an Airbus pilot I would make sure I knew off hand which failures would have the aircraft revert to ALTN LAW where some of the protections are lost (MAX SPEED 320 + F/CTL PROT). It even tells you separately which systems are lost (AP 1 + 2, A/THR, and you can't do a CAT II approach).

All this means is you are now flying an Airbus that is more like a conventional aircraft (protection wise) albeit with no AP and A/THR.

WOW! This now means the pilot is going to have to fly the aircraft, something he is paid to do.

This of course seems to be a major problem these days and is another subject but it's not an Airbus or Boeing problem but an airline problem!

I won't even open that can of worms but suffice to say the airlines will most likely pay dearly in the future because more and more of these crashes are going to happen.