PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I need a squawk code for IFR?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2015, 05:19
Obidiah

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks NB,

I will give it a try without pre-emption, it will undoubtedly feel odd though.

I don't particularly worry about those that are annoyed by the fact that some do, these poor souls are destined to walk through life peeved at all manner of things from anti clockwise rotating ceiling fans to crooked paintings. Such is their lot.

The reason I mentioned over transmitting upon other VHF users is the fact when on the ground VHF propagation has some limitations from shielding and poor antenna location. Once airborne other airborne stations are easier to hear.

"Now a taxi call only requires me to find your strip in the preactive strip window and mouse click on it once. This brings up a track and associated label data block (callsign, requested level, track, a/c type etc) at the departure point, and automatically sets a timer for now+10 minutes for sarwatch. Another few clicks and I can record any traffic passed."

I thought you also needed to note POB and departure runway?

Interestingly I am required to pass information already known to you such as type, IFR status, location and destination which begs the question as to why if you already have all that?

To answer my own question one presumes to confirm that we are all on the same page. Also aids VFR aircraft not yet on CTAF for their situational awareness.

Last edited by Obidiah; 4th Feb 2015 at 14:47.