PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is: Flying VFR into IMC?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2015, 02:37
poonpossum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's stupid and reckless to spread the 90 seconds to live thing upon entering IMC.

As well as the spacial disorientation being the killer, I would argue equally as high that it is also the freakout.

Flying schools and most of you here here alike peddle the probably true, but harmful idea that if you find yourself in IMC and you don't know what to do about it, you will die.

Implanting this kind of mindset into the VFR pilot's head sets them up to BELIEVE that they have no ability to control a situation involving sudden loss of visibility, and when you believe you can't control a situation, you lose your cool, adrenaline increases, you proceed to trust your senses while forgetting about your instruments.

Sure maybe the weather was marginal, maybe there were pressures, maybe a hypothetical pilot's wife was having a baby, maybe they didn't read the weather or maybe they didn't plan right. They made some mistakes that lead them into cloud.

Instead of saying it's very dangerous, that they are idiots for going, that their swiss cheese lined up, and that they have 90 get out before death, say this:

You CAN control this situation. You will be fine.

Do you have an autopilot that works? Turn it on. Do you know where you are on your WAC? Climb higher than the bold spot height for the square you are in, or the highest height in your general area if you aren't sure.

Do you have an AH? Watch it like a hawk, don't look outside. 80% attention to AH, 19% attention altitude and 1% attention to heading.

Are you in range of ATC? Call them and tell them you need help. Don't let your ego get in the way. It is their JOB to help you.

No AH? Alternate between turn and slip and altitude.

No instruments? Download one of those in-phone glass cockpits and hold it to your dash.

Airspace above you and mountains below? Forget it. Crank the transponder and climb into it. No transponder? Tell them you are going up and to get the jets out of the way. A phone call is better than a grave.

In my first week of flying school I was told of the imminent death awaiting me if I was to enter IMC, and to this day I think that was the stupidest thing to ever tell a bunch of people fresh out of their effects of controls.

Empowering people with the knowledge and the confidence to fly in any situation is a much better idea than simply telling them that they are finished and there is not a dam thing they can do about it.