PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Handley Page Hastings
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2015, 14:45
staircase

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, if the thread is still of interest perhaps a ‘war story’.

Your hero was getting an ‘intermediate co-pilots course’ consisting of about 10 hours concentrated training. The first trip on the first day I KNEW an engine would fail. When ‘sir’ walked past the engineer’s position, he would leave a note to the effect that when safety speed was called the engineer was to switch off the number 4 injector, and as a result the engine would stop. Non of your pretend stuff in those days!

I was well up to speed with the drills and knew what to do. A swing followed by a great boot full of rudder to keep it straight and then the immediate actions that one learnt of by heart;

1. Throttle closed
2. RPM lever to feather
3. Feathering button pressed
4. Injector cut off to cut off.
5. Fuel master cock off
6. Ignition off

If you say them fast as in 1 close the throttle 2 rpm to feather 3 feathering button pressed then what is below, makes a bit of sense.

I used to recite them even when the wife and I were…….to make sure they were word perfect.

We got airborne and the swing occurred resulting in;

‘Eng., engine failure starboard side – check Ts and Ps’

‘Cylinder head temp falling on number 4’

OK says your hero, who then did the following. He closed number 1 throttle, placed number 2 feathering lever through the feather gate, pressed number 3 feathering button and of course number 4 was already ‘dead’.

We were now flying with number 1 at idle, 2 feathered, 3 was still running at power (the feather button popped straight out again against the oil pressure) and 4 was, as I said above, dead! There were 2 sinking feelings, one outside and the other in my chest.

‘Sir’ says ‘OK I have control. Eng, put all the levers back where he found them and also start 4’.

We went round and landed, taxied to the take off position and he says;

‘Nav what is the time?’

’10.08 captain’

‘No it is not nav. It is 10.00. The last 8 mins did not happen. Now lets all relax. We know we can do this, so lets go and do it again properly’

At the end of the 10 hours he sent me ‘solo’ with another co-pilot in his seat. What a man, and I remembered his attitude and understanding when I did the CFS course a few years later.