PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 28th Jan 2015, 15:32
Brian W May

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's funny about the RSM thing.

Whilst I was at Wyton I had to do a course down at Ashford. Went in the bar and they were all stood about like spare Richards at a wedding.

So I went to the bar and ordered a beer (it was after the published opening time). The barman muttered something about the RSM not being present, so I encouraged him to do as I'd asked and give me a beer - NOW was good for me.

Standing, leaning against the bar and sipping my pint, I noticed it all go quiet behind me and then a 'presence' beside me. The guy was huge! He asked me who I was (I was in civvies) so I replied 'Master Engineer Brian May' and he obviously hadn't got a clue what that meant.

He then said 'What rank is that?' so I said 'Same as you', then added I was also CMC of the Sergeants' Mess at Wyton. I offered him a beer - that said, his and another one for me arrived almost immediately - his shout.

I could sense the disappointment behind me when it was 'expected' this Crab was going to get his'. Turns out I was also senior too (he checked ever so subtley).

He was a really nice guy, however I would think it would have been a slightly different outcome had I been a different rank. I've always found being aircrew quite fun . . . never had to wait all the time I was there.

Strange customs . . .