PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2015, 15:52
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
@ cland, et al ....

I go with vilas for the most part. Ditto for PJ.

My problem is folks describing to novices the "effect" of a control law versus the "intent", and actual code for HAL. PLZ convince me that the 'bus control law for pitch is primarily programmed for an attitude versus a gee. I realize that correcting the gee command for pitch attitude achieves the "percieved pitch" command versus a gee command. Our primitive system had no correction for attitude for fairly obvious reasons. So establish a 30 degree pitch attitude and stay at same power as the jet loses energy. Instead of 0.87 gee, the sucker tried to maintain trimmed gee, which was ususally one +/- a few hundreths. So pitch attitude gradually increased to maintain one gee ( Nz). Horizontal stabs "auto trimmed", just as AF447. Unless our AoA limiter failed, we were headed for a deep stall.

- I feel your pain, Cland, about no means to jettison the jet. Seems that should be a serious incentive to learn as much about the jet and its systems as possible and practice a few things when able.

- Our limits were intended to keep the pointy end forward and keep us from putting too many gees on the airframe and bending the wings if we rolled too fast under a decent gee load.
So our laws were a combination of "protect the jet" and "let the pilot command max performance without having one eye on the gee meter or AoA indicator or.........." So we could command maximum performance at any time and she gave you what she could. Maintenance troops loved it, as pervious jets could easily be over-geed. We would come back with ripples on the upper skin of the wings. Bad. "Bad pilot, bad", heh heh.

I like the 'bus clontrol laws in "normal" . They are about what I would expect for the mission and the mechanical design limts of the jet. So my problem is with reversion laws and lack of indications that the jet has reached trim l;imits or AoA limits or.......

- My comment about continuing a climb with stick in "neutral" stands. Until the Alpha stuff comes into play, PLZ show me where the jet will nose over or act like the "old" ones most of us flew years ago. In other words, if energy and AoA allow, the jet will continue to climb after you relax the stick. It will also trim the THS as long as it can.