PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 19th Jan 2015, 20:50
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Thcrozier, while this definition is not universal, this is the way I think of stalls:
Stall - When the airflow separates causing the wing to loose lift. Most stalls can be readily recovered with a simple nose-down command, although the details can be tricky since one wing will often stall first resulting a sudden roll.
Deep stall - extreme stall where the nose is not allowed to drop and most forward speed is lost - forward speed is similar to the descent speed (e.g. Air France A330). Deep stalls take a long time to recover from since there is initially little airflow over the tail to provide a nose down command.
Unrecoverable stall - stall where the spoiled flow from the stalled wing effectively blanks the tail, completely preventing the necessary nose down command to recover - quite common in 'T' tail aircraft.

OK465 - I don't know how the FAA pilot would have done that, but my suspicion is that he was trying something that he wasn't supposed to and/or hadn't been briefed (that's happened before, where I do have first hand knowledge, when the FAA pilot performed a maneuver he'd been specifically told not to perform - tends to result in rather strained relations between Boeing and the Feds - and would also be consistent with it being kept 'quiet').