PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 14th Jan 2015, 11:24
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
capt log

NB for Perpignan, the BEA said:
This absence de
reference to the use of the trim is also mentioned in AAIB report into a serious
incident to a Boeing 737 on 23 September 2007(59).
In short, any pilot, with full power, full forward stick yet nose high and getting higher should not need (and will not notice) a small "Use Man Pitch Trim" message. They should be trained to know that Pitch Trim may be needed, but in both cases, IIRC, the Pitch Trim was not the whole issue, but the high power as well?

It certainly didn't help 2 very respectable pilots on D-AXLA A320-232 over Perpignan when THS stayed nose up, with the combination of the AOA sensors freezing and normal law dropping out they were unable to save it with the above aforementioned method. After reading the report, i was worried by the lack of notification to the pilots, in that moment id expect 'USE MAN PITCH TRIM' to be slapping me round the face.
We do need to remember they ignored numerous signs that the AoAs were incorrect, they failed to follow every safety procedure in the test they were doing. I am afraid there gets a point when the crew have to be "accountable" (even if it their training or management the ultimate cause), rather than just blaming the systems / manufacturers because their aircraft are not "uncrashable"