PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Indonesia Lost Contact from Surabaya to Singapore
Old 14th Jan 2015, 08:52
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To say "Pilots were trained" for Stall Recoveries in their PPL phase, and expect that to have any relevance years later, when both time has passed, and flying very different aircraft, is not valid IMHO

In my RAF days, exercises such as stall recoveries were required to be practiced, IIRC, every 28 days. Along with UP recoveries etc.

From my experience, the 3 yearly "training cycle" of such items in typical airline Sims, and also the "canned" / tame nature of the exercises, renders them nigh on useless I reckon the "benefits" of being refreshed last for maybe 2-3 months, then I think I am back where I was prior the sim.

There is little point in practicing "stall recoveries" unless and until we are proficient in recovering at the approach to the stall. And of course if we are proficient at the recovery at the warning stage, there is less merit in practicing the full stall & recovery.

Does anyone seriously believe the AF447 pilots had any chance of recovering once they got to <60KIAS / 40 AoA? Yes - the aircraft was theoretically recoverable, but given how they got to that point, I think the chance was almost nil. They had so seriously lost SA that the very bold control inputs and attitudes required I do not see happening?

The solution, if we wish to reduce LoC accidents (which are very rare), is to ensure pilots are genuinely competent in attitude flying, stalls even spins, UP recoveries - and keep current 2-3 times a year minimum. That is an awful lot of aerobatic aircraft hire, and will kill a lot of pilots in accidents. It won't happen, and I suspect we will just continue to see a small number of LoC accidents...