PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2015, 20:16
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gliders Might Improve Pilots Upset flying skills-Maybe not

Having flown gliders, fast jets, (and the boxes they came in ) I believe I'm able to comment.
Personally, I don't think glider flying would help that much. Bonin, for example was alleged to be a glider pilot, but when the chips were down, he became another Whac-A-Mole pilot, responding to roll deviations with great speed but ignoring pitch deviations and losing the big picture.

The best training I have encountered for aircraft handling at the edge of the envelope is ACM (Air Combat Maneuvering against another aircraft of similar performance). To do good ACM requires an AOA gage of some sort. Unfortunately the required equipment is not available to most pilots who could benefit from that type of training.

By comparison, thermaling competitively against another glider in the same thermal is a pale imitation.

Maybe what pilots need is solid skill at flying the aircraft manually so that when Hal no longer computes, you can take over successfully and avoid having to demonstrate superior maneuvering skills.